Private Banjo Instruction
I have been a private banjo instructor for over twenty years. In that time I have developed teaching methods covering all the techniques needed for a student to become an accomplished clawhammer player. A visit to my clawhammer page will give you an idea of the number and quality of my teaching materials and arrangements.
After my students master the basic techniques, we start working on "Arrangement Development" (how arranging music. My goal is to get my students to that level where they can take any song and create their own banjo arrangement from scratch. No musician should have to rely on another player's arrangements (tablatures) forever!
The cost of a 40 minute private lesson is 25.00. I teach on Tuesdays and Thursdays in Harrisvile and Mondays in Salt Lake (It may be difficult to get into one of my Monday lesson spots as I only teach the one day in Salt Lake).
As far as I know, I'm the only instructor in Utah who specializes in the clawhammer (frailing) style of banjo. Because of this, I have students who travel great distances to take lessons. Before you sign up for lessons, consider the driving time it will take to get to my home and decide if you are willing to clear that much time from your schedule. Here is the approximate driving times from various locations in our area:
• From Ogden: 5 miles (10 min)
- From Roy: 12 miles (15 min)
- From Brigham City: 20 miles (25 min)
- From Layton: 20 miles (25 min)
- From Bountiful: 34 miles (38 min)
- From Tremonton: 34 miles (38 min)
- From Downtown Salt Lake: 45 miles (50 min)
- From Sandy: 55 miles (1 hr)
- From Malad, ID: 67 miles (1 hr, 10 min)
- Tooele: 73 miles (1 hr, 15 min)
- From Orem: 83 miles (1 hr, 20 min)
- From Evanston, Wyo: 83 miles (1 hr, 20 min)
- From Provo: 86 miles (1 hr, 30 min)
If you are interested in lessons:
- Check my Teaching Schedule for available slots.
- Download and read my Lesson Policies sheet (pdf file) by "right clicking" (Windows) or "ctrl clicking" (Mac).
- If you are still interested lessons (or a personal workshop), contact me.
You can pay for your lessons as you take them (make checks payable to Bluesage Band) or with a credit card through my secure PayPal account: